I probably should have done these when I did the Engine Refresh Project… when I finished that project I found that there was a fair amount of tappet noise and was faced with the prospect of replacing the lifters (tappets) and camshaft.
I have been putting off replacing the camshaft as I know it is a big job. There is no easy way to replace the camshaft – you either need to disassemble the front of the car (radiator, grille, coolers etc) or raise the engine enough to be able to extract the camshaft. I figured it was a worthwhile exercise to replace the “easy” bits before embarking on the major job of the camshaft.
So… I ordered a few new/replacement parts, including:
- set of hydraulic lifters (16)
- set of pushrods (16)
- set of rockers (8+8)
- rocker shafts (2)
- valley gasket
All up, about $700 (Australian) for OEM replacement parts.
As I had recently replaced the following parts, I was able to reuse them:
- valley gasket end seals
- injector o-rings
- upper manifold gasket
- rocker cover gaskets
- rocker cover bolts
- coolant outlet pipe o-ring
Other useful stuff to have on hand:
- gasket goo – used Permatex high temp gasket compound
- a selection of 6 and 12-point sockets (8mm – 15mm)
- tools to remove cooling fan… it really is worth the $50 to buy the LR tool in my opinion
- torque wrench
- cable ties